Professors Emeriti Promoted at the University of Sarajevo
Ceremony on the occasion of the 71st University of Sarajevo’s Anniversary
The University of Sarajevo Professors Emeriti promotion, held as a solemn part of the 22nd University Senate Session and organized as part of the celebration of the 71st anniversary, was held on 23 December 2020 in the University of Sarajevo Ceremonial Hall.
The welcome address was delivered by Rector Prof. Dr. Rifat Škrijelj in which was pointed a special place in the University of Sarajevo’s history, which these days celebrates its 71st anniversary, of professors emeriti who earned this honorary title with their work and reputation.
“This year, according to the decision of the University of Sarajevo Senate, the honorary title of professor emeritus was awarded to nine of our distinguished retired professors who have spent most of their working lives at the University, educating numerous generations of young people. These professors have achieved significant scientific or artistic opus, recognized and recognizable not only in the narrow field but in the entire academic community and the general public. With their scientific and artistic contribution, they marked the time in which they worked, and in the best way publicly affirmed their profession and gave a lasting mark in the history of the development of the University” said Rector Škrijelj.
Retired full professors who have continuously contributed to the advancement and development of scientific research and artistic research, development and progress of the University and Faculties and Academies, and the teaching process at the University, and who have gained an international reputation, are proposed for the honorary title of Professor Emeritus.
University of Sarajevo Rector Prof. Dr. Rifat Škrijelj promoted the following professors into University of Sarajevo Professors Emeriti:
1. Prof. Zijad Mehić, retired full professor at the UNSA Academy of Performing Arts,
2. Prof. Dr. Semsudin Masic, retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Electrical Engineering,
3. Prof. Dr. Zikrija Avdagić, retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Electrical Engineering,
4. Prof. Dr. Rabija Somun-Kapetanović, retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Economics,
5. Prof. Dr. Salih Fočo, retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Philosophy,
6. Academician Dr. Dževad Karahasan, Academy of Sciences and Arts of BiH full member and retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Philosophy,
7. Prof. Dr. Halima Resić, retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Medicine,
8. Prof. Dr. Meliha Zejnilagić-Hajrić, retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics,
9. Prof. Dr. Faruk Čaklovica, 2006 to 2012 University of Sarajevo Rector and retired full professor at the UNSA Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
On behalf of the promoted professors emeriti, Prof. Dr. Meliha Zejnilagić-Hajrić made the following address “This is a special year in all respects, a year in which each of us individually and all of us together question what is the meaning of our life, its essence, what we did and how we worked, how we bring our lives to what is certain and inevitably, in the end it brought us emeritus some particularly significant answers. With this promotion today, you sent a message to each of us promoted emeritus that you have noticed us and our work in the past 40 years, or a little longer if we include student days, and that you consider it worthy of your attention, this promotion and this honor.”"
The 71st University of Sarajevo’s Anniversary was marked by the promotion of 61 Doctors of Sciences and Arts, the BA and MA graduates promotion, the exhibition of art works by Academy of Fine Arts students and the promotion of nine Professors Emeriti.