The National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Founded in 1888, the National Museum is the oldest Western-style modern cultural and scientific institution in the country. The initial idea of establishing a museum dates back to the 19th century, while the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina - as the Bosnian pashaluk - belonged to the Ottoman Empire. However, the idea was realised nearly four decades later with the arrival of the new authorities. The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy occupied the Bosanski pašaluk in 1878, bringing new political and social goals, customs and values. They also included the promotion of science through research, academic and institutional development.
As one of the still unexplored countries of the Balkans, Bosnia and Herzegovina attracted the interest of many scientists, especially those from Austria-Hungary, as well as the attention of pseudo-scientists and treasure hunters. Already in the first years of the occupation this resulted in the removal of cultural monuments from the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Such circumstances accelerated the realisation of the idea of establishing a museum: the Museum Society was first was established, then followed by the establishment of the National Museum on 1 February 1888. The National Government, as the founder of the institution, appointed Kosta Hörmann as the Director of the Museum.
The space in which the Museum was originally located - in the then centre of the city - soon became inadequate for the growing collection, and in 1909 the construction of the new museum building began, comprising four pavilions and the Botanical Garden, which was completed and opened in 1913. It was the only purpose-built museum building on the territory of the former Yugoslavia for a long time. The National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is located in it today.