National Museum of B&H
Founded in 1888, the National Museum is the oldest modern Western-type cultural and scientific institution in the country. The first idea of establishing a museum dates back to the 19th century, while the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina - like the Bosnian pashaluk - belonged to the Ottoman Empire. However, the idea was realized nearly four decades later with the arrival of the new government. Austro-Hungarian Monarchy occupied Bosanski pašaluk in 1878, bringing new political and social goals, customs and values. They also included the promotion of science through research, academic and institutional development.
As one of the still unexplored countries of the Balkans, Bosnia and Herzegovina has attracted the interest of many scientists, especially those from Austria-Hungary, as well as the attention of pseudo-teachers and treasure hunters. This was the first years of occupation that resulted in the presentation of cultural monuments from the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Such position accelerated the realization of the idea of establishing a museum: the first was founded by the Museum Society, and then by the National Museum on February 1, 1888. The National Government, as the founder of the institution, appointed Kosta Hörmann as the director of the Museum.
The space in which the Museum was originally located - in the then center of the city - soon became unsatisfactory for the collection that grew, and in 1909 the construction of a new museum complex of four pavilions and the Botanical Garden, which was completed and opened in 1913 For a long time it was the only purpose-built museum complex on the territory of the former Yugoslavia. In it, the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is located today.